Monday, September 20, 2010

Cooler is better

Friday evening and the Fredericksburg Classic & Muscle Car Club orchestrates their weekly cruise event at VA BBQ in Fredericksburg, Virginia. About half of the cars were regulars but the other half was new to us. The deep maroon ’63 Vette with the 502 was real nice and the light blue ’50 Chevy was special too. There were 65-70 cars that gave the event a crowded feel….which was a good thing! While stumbling around taking pictures I got to meet Brad, the owner of the black Willys B/G pick up, Willard…. He is making a statement with his ride, check it out when you can. I am seeing the National trend of more suede painted cars at shows and cruises and they were well represented Friday night at the BBQ. The ’54 Ford with the flames is a great representation of that discipline as was the radical black & silver pick up. Tooties white ’57 Olds added to the nostalgic feel of the event too.

I was also introduced to Steve, from Homes for our Troops by Tony the owner of VA BBQ. I think Steve & I can work together on some projects in the future. Please remember our Troops that are doing our Country’s bidding and especially the ones that don’t come back whole. They all deserve our respect and thanks but some of them need our help. One of the ways this can happen is to support groups like Wounded Warrior Project and Homes for our Troops.
http://www.homesforourtroops.org http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
We cruised home in the cool evening air….the RedRat likes cold air….it was a good trip….grin!

Saturday we met Fred at WAWA in Stafford, VA and the three of us took off on our 87 mile cruise to Winchester, VA and the 3rd Annual Cruise-in For a CURE event at the Backseat Bar & Grille. This is the first time we have attended this event and we were pleasantly surprised. The event is run by Valley Cruisers of Winchester and as most of their events do it ran flawlessly….they had us out on time and I heard no grumbling about anything! The Food at Backseat grille is very tasty and fairly priced. They have clean restrooms and the staff is helpful. The Valley Cruisers provided the music and DJ for the event. The event had many activities to keep the participants as busy as they wanted, it was a good time. The event is part of the Relay For Life of the American Cancer Society….a good thing to support. There were many very nice cars but the one I liked best was the black ’56 Ford post with the 427 FE motor. When this car rumbled in with its staccato exhaust note I thought someone had unloaded an alcohol funny car or something like that….it was not to be ignored! It even had cheater slicks! The orange ’51 Ford was way cool too, Ford in a Ford….nice. The Princess “won” a Barbie doll in the Chinese auction….I think it only cost $20 worth of tickets…. But it was so special….and it was a “Princess” Barbie!? O…K…. that makes it better!? I know one of the granddaughters will like it.

After the event we cruised about 12 miles to McCoy’s Ice Cream in Stephens City, VA, to attend the cruise there. We waited till about 5:30 and no other cars showed up? So much for that….we returned to Stafford and the cruise at Bruster’s. The cruise was way too busy for us and the parking lot was overflowing so we stayed an hour then left for home….a great day.

Sunday the Princess and I cruised 60 miles to Sperryville, VA and hooked up with Steve and friends. We then cruised 23 more miles over the mountain to Luray, VA and the Susan G Komen, 3 Day walk for the Cure, car show. The event was held in the Tractor Supply Company’s parking lot in Luray. The event was organized by Betty Topley with the assistance of her husband and daughter plus J.B. at Tractor Supply. Rob Vollten, a local D.J., provided the music and announcements. Tony’s Body Shop, in Culpeper, provided the awards and Chris Hetzer helped where needed. The event was Betty’s first try at putting an event together and we think it worked out great! She may be planning another for next year….stay tuned….she will want you to be part of the event.

There were about 70 cars at the event and many very nice examples of what hot rodding is all about. The coolest one was the Ford shoebox of Tommy’s. The orange flake smoothie was definitely a hit with everyone to the point it won “Best of Show”…. Caddy taillights, wide whites and lakers….what’s not to like? Shoot I was looking for some cigarettes to roll up in my shirt sleeve, I wish I had hair to comb in a DA….oh well….I guess I’m almost a smoothie too, like my friend Lee in AZ! Grin

Most of you know that I don’t compete in the shows anymore because I don’t want to compromise my objectiveness when I report on the events. I also don’t want the distraction of competition to ruin the day for me so I always put a sticker on my registration in the windshield that says “DO NOT JUDGE”. I pay to support the cause for the event but I just don’t want to play. While we were packing up to cruise to Sonny’s, a couple of ladies came over to me with a prayer ribbon….to give to me. They said that they liked my car the best but since it said do not judge it they didn’t know what to do….They were the ladies that participated in the walk for the cure so they were going to give me the award anyway! I have received many awards in my life but this is one of the best….all the bling bling trophies will be gone someday but I’ll treasure this one always ….thanks.

After the show a bunch of us cruised another 5 miles west to Sonny’s Place on the side of Waterfall Mountain and had dinner. The food at Sonny’s is always great and the portions are really large….I mean way too much for a normal human to finish, but I tried….grin The staff is attentive and helpful plus the Lady of the cafĂ© always makes sure we are well taken care of when stop by…. If you are near Luray or New Market I highly recommend this eatery….yes it has the Slacker’s seal of approval! hehehe

We cruised back to Stafford and I guess I was reflecting on how the day unfolded, while listening to 502 inches of GM’s best, turning gasoline into music….and almost ran out of fuel! OPPS….a quick stop on the outskirts of Culpeper for gas then continue on home….living a dream….I love this hobby….

No comments: