Monday, September 22, 2008

A very busy weekend!

Friday night at VA BBQ....It's getting cooler very quickly, as soon as the sun starts setting the temperature starts to drop. Let's see, last week we were complaining about how hot it was! Stewart brought his '63 Ford PU, this is a very special PU, you need to check it out when it is at a cruise/show with you. Then a new black Pro Street Chevy PU came in....it was a '72 with a '67 front end? It was chopped, channeled and very nice, It had a blown SB but it didn't sound too rowdy? A yellow Lamborghini Countach....they have so many scoops and lumpy thingies on them and they are really cut edgy in the design, but they are cool nonetheless? There was a black Chevelle with blue graphics and a mirror under the hood....different! And a nice black 37 Chevy 4dr. Sedans with 4 drs are becoming popular now....why? It was getting very cold so we left around 8:30.....I can't believe I said that-getting cold!

Steve Shifflett invited Dan & Ramona and the Princess & I to the Prince William Cruisers picnic on Saturday....Roger and his wife hosted the event at their home, we had a wonderful time talking with the club members and eating too much food. I don't know who made the potato salad but I need to know if they want to adopt me! Steve did a good job cooking the burgers, he said he had a lot of practice....cooking that is! The Princess said I should take some lessons from Steve....whatever that means? We left the picnic and convoyed to the BK in Orange....a long strange trip!

Bill trailered his orange 41 Willys with the early hemi....check the video clip on it. DJ Ron was there playing the music and making announcements, he does keep a cruise or show moving along....the Princess is still upset with Ron for arresting her at the Salem show....she remembers everything! I think I heard her bleating something about taking his name off her Christmas card list....Princesses are so whiny.... We stayed till 8:30 and said our good buys then left for home....it was cold....do you see a pattern here? All in all a great day driving them cars and visiting with friends....is this stuff great or what?

Ron Phillips & Gary Ingoglia put on a show at Bruster's in North Stafford, Sat evening....Gary Sullivan sent me the following about the show;
The cruise-in at North Stafford’s Brusters Ice Cream on September 20 had over 85 cars, trucks and motorcycles were registered, filling the parking lot with vehicles from 1915 to 2008. Ron and Gary spun the tunes and gave away door prizes for the right answers to trivia questions. The Stangs and Fangs Mustang Club showed up at 4:30pm with about 20 Mustangs and Cobras. What a sight and what a sound! All in all, about 30 members of the club were in attendance with their pony cars. A full blown Camaro race car rolled off the trailer and rumbled through the parking lot to it’s parking place for the evening. It looked like it was going 200 m.p.h. while is was sitting still. The 50/50 drawing attracted over $350 in donations. At the end of the evening after the 50/50 drawing, and after the random drawing trophies were passed out, the top three were left. All three winners were first time visitors to Brusters! Third place went to an incredibly detailed and tricked out 1989 Toyota 4x4 pickup. (Go Cubbies!) The second place trophy went to a very neat and clean original 1950 Ford. The First Place trophy went to a 1971 Plymouth GTX, sporting a gold paint job, typical for that year, and a 426 Hemi with cross-ram intake and dual 4 bbl carbs. By the end of the evening, it was clear that Fall is not too far away, as there was a nip in the air as all of the cruisers headed home.

Sunday we got a late start and headed to the show at the GM plant in Fredericksburg. We were going to help Ray and Terry set up their deal....by the time we got there they were done! We set up camp and prepared for a good time at the show. Rich had brought his Cheetah which is one of my top 5 favorite cars of all time! I had seen one in the 60's at Riverside Raceway when I was driving a tow truck for the Buick dealer but hadn't seen one since! I read about them but their history is a little smoky so I was unable to follow it and lost interest in the car. Then Ray said he had driven one and that one would be at the GM-UAW show, I knew it was going to be a good day! The car is as I remembered it, so cool and edgy, so smooth and with a classy attitude. It was a contemporary of the Chaparral and Hussein.....It was hand built as were most of the Can-Am cars of the time. It is a piece of American Automobile History that should be better known. Please check the pictures of it on the link at the left. Bruce brought his blue Ferrari race car and the red street Ferrari, they are very nice cars. The technical engineering that is in those cars is staggering, check them out when you get a chance. There was an orange '48 Studebaker that was very different....those cars are out there anyway but this one was waaay out there, so many hand built things on that car, check out the air cleaner for a starter! I saw a couple 409 powered Chevys....both black, one a '62 the other a '64 and of course Richards red PU with the 409 motor! And the blue '61 Impala with the 409! I wonder just how many 409's were there? One of my favorite cars was the yellow '32 Ford roadster PU.... sometimes making a roadster on a PU doesn't work for me but this one rang my chimes! I really liked the '54 Merc woody wagon, a real unusual car! Claude and Silvia's blue 34 Chevy coupe was as intimidating as it always is! I also liked the orange and cream '57 Vette....can you say Dreamsicle? I think the most unusual piece was the red '41 Olds, you just don't see many of those around! Chuck & Cindy brought their Chevelles and some of their friends that run with them....they come up from Mechanicsville, near Richmond. Steve, Roger and 4 others in their club brought some cars from Brandywine, MD. There were many bikes and vendors there too, the GM display was top notch and Smoots BBQ wasn't bad either! That is part of what makes this show a must attend deal, people come from all around to attend, I think the 'long distance' award was for over 400 miles! Melvin did a superb job putting on this show, as he always does! He had over 270 cars in attendance which is a good number for this year. The Princess won the 50/50....this is the second one in 2 weeks! After she gave half back for the charity she bought dinner for those that followed us back to Stafford....she is so benevolent when she has money! I hope she gets over her knee injury from the pea under the mattress last week! She is so sensitive about some things....but then she told me I had 3 days to get better from my ankle surgery in December or I could just sit in the corner and drool....I think she needs to go back to sensitivity training....I told her I would get a little bell to ring when I needed help....she told me what I could do with that bell and it wasn't very Princess like! We'll see how it goes....maybe Loretta will talk to her before December.... Some in our group got a top 60 award---Marla, Tony, Brent, Slacker, Princess, Dan & Ramona, Lou and Ed....Ed also won a 'Best of" trophy, I don't remember what it was, it doesn't matter, Ed is winning way too much, I think I'll take him off my email list so he won't know where/when the shows are....you think after all the big trophies he wins that he could buy a chair to sit in while at the shows, or he could go to rent-a-chair and rent one but no....he waits like a vulture under the canopy for someone to get up then swoops down and takes over the vacant chair....whataguy! As I was leaving the RedRat must have hit some water or something, the tires kept spinning till I realized what was happening and lifted the right pedal....grin A great day with friends and cars....life is good!

No comments: